Tuesday 20 November 2012

Gummy chews and her mince pies..

I cannot begin to tell you my love affair for mince pies. I think it started when I was too small to remember, but each year around this time there is a feeling of nostalgia that looms in the air, bringing me back to fond childhood memories of slotting my face with these handsome tarts.

I would often sneak to the pantry and grab one mid-night so that nobody could detect me, of course the next morning awakening with icing sugar on my face was an immediate give away, mmm.I didn't mind that I got into trouble for eating the last one. My bulging-belly was proof enough that I didn't woe and that mincy's had become my favs!

Here is to Christmas and stuffing our mushs' with puds:





Mella's Mince Pies

Prep: 30min                               Yields: 24 mini                      Bake: 25min

For the pastry:

ready to roll short crust pastry (jus roll)
egg wash (for coating)
Icing sugar (for dusting)


For the fruit mince filling:

1/2 cup green Granny smith apple, diced
1/4 cup craisins (or cranberries-dried)
1/4 cup chopped almonds/ slithers
1/2 cup chopped dates
1/4 cup currants
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup melted butter
1/2 cup brown demerara sugar
50ml orange juice


Method:

Add all the ingredients for the filling and place in a mixing bowl. Soak for 2 hours until the fruit begins to soften and swell. In the meantime, roll  out your pastry on a lightly floured surface, approximately 3mm deep. Cut out rounds big enough to fit your tin, this should be around 6cm. Grease your mince pie tin and place the rounds in the cavities. Fill with the fruit mince. With the leftover bit sof pastry, cut out shapes (stars, hearts, holly) and place over the filling. Brush the tops with egg wash and bake for 25min. Dust with icing sugar once cooled.


With love: Gummy Chews

No comments:

Post a Comment