Monday 26 November 2012

Hot Chocolate and Chrismica!

Reality is a wonderful thing. At the weekend I quite fancied a Christmas latte from a local coffee shop, not because I enjoy their brand or think that their Christmas latte's rock-they don't, but rather to feed my urge for the Christmas nostalgia that was heavy on my belly. I wanted something fill fulling  something that would ignite the fire in my cold bones and awaken me to Christmas feeling.I wanted something with spice, with smells of cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. My chosen latte, although warming, was not that kind of magic. I get circumvent, as you can tell, quite quickly and if it doesn't suit my desire, I simply make my own.

Home-made hot chocolate: just for Christmas

Time: 25min  Makes: 6 servings


Ingredients:
  • 6 cups of whole milk
  • 3/4 cup dark muscavado sugar
  • 10 crushed cardomom pods
  • 10 whole cloves
  • 2 cinnamon sticks
  • 2 whole star anise
  • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 red chilli (med heat)
  • 3 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Method:
In a heavy based saucepan, bring the milk and all other ingredients to the boil, except the cocoa powder and vanilla extract. Take off the heat once boiled and allow to cool for 20min, allowing all the spices to infuse the milk.Bring back to the simmer, adding the cocoa and vanilla. Whisk all together to create a smooth, silky texture. Take off the heat and strain into a bowl using a sieve.Ladle portions of the drink into 6 mugs. Serve with marshmallows or mince pies. 

Love G.chews.

No comments:

Post a Comment